Washington, D.C. (February 7, 2018) — Today, iNACOL published a new policy issue brief titled, State Strategies to Develop Teacher Capacity for Personalized, Competency-Based Learning.
The iNACOL issue brief shares state policy recommendations and action steps for policymakers who are supporting the redesign of educator workforce systems to enable educators to build the skills, competencies and knowledge needed to thrive in modern, student-centered learning environments.
By modernizing educator preparation and development systems, policymakers will support transformation at scale toward education systems that prepare every student for success in higher education, the modern workforce and as citizens.
Transforming K-12 education systems to student-centered learning requires building teacher capacity for personalized, competency-based education.
This issue brief highlights four strategies for states and school districts to transform educator workforce systems to prepare teachers with the skills they need for student-centered learning:
- Identifying clear, specific educator competencies for personalized, competency-based learning environments;
- Creating multiple, high-quality pathways to educator credentials and development;
- Developing educator professional judgment for student-centered learning; and
- Building assessment literacy.
Susan Patrick, iNACOL President and CEO, said, “Opportunities exist to modernize educator preparation and development systems to build capacity for teachers to personalize instruction for each and every student’s needs in redesigned learning environments. Educators are leading new designs for students to learn the knowledge and skills for future success and move beyond one-size-fits-all classrooms.”
Download a full copy of this issue brief, State Strategies to Develop Teacher Capacity for Personalized, Competency-Based Learning, and access other iNACOL issue briefs:
- Rethinking State Accountability to Support Personalized, Competency-Based Learning in K-12 Education
- Redefining Student Success: Profile of a Graduate
- Redesigning Systems of Assessments for Student-Centered Learning
- State Policy & K-12 Competency-Based Education
The mission of iNACOL is to drive the transformation of education systems and accelerate the advancement of breakthrough policies and practices to ensure high-quality learning for all. Visit our website, like us on Facebook, connect with us on LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter.