iNACOL Center for Policy Advocacy
The iNACOL Center for Policy Advocacy leads the multi-stage evolution of policy necessary for the growth of effective personalized learning models toward the goals of high quality, equity, access and dramatically improving student learning to close the achievement gap and ensure every student has access to high-quality, world-class learning opportunities. To achieve this, iNACOL:
- Provides lawmaker education and technical assistance on issues analysis and policy development;
- Responds to requests for support from policymakers and practitioners in the field;
- Develops the vision of the future of education through transformational policy for systems; and
- Builds knowledge on policies to support student-centered, competency-based, personalized learning.
Policy actions are needed to drive the transformation of K-12 education systems and accelerate the advancement of breakthrough policies and practices to ensure high-quality learning for all.
Presented here are iNACOL’s 2019 policy priorities, an equity-driven and future-focused set of state and federal policy recommendations, informed by the learning sciences and lessons learned from studying highly effective education systems from other countries.
These policy priorities, designed to ensure the nation’s education system is fit for purpose, are intentionally constructed to move states forward from their current state of education to future systems capable of preparing all graduates with the knowledge, abilities and dispositions necessary to achieve success, to contribute to their communities and to advance our society.
2019 State Policy Priorities
Transform U.S. Education Systems
- Redefine student success to ensure students are prepared for college, career and civic life with the knowledge, skills and mindsets for healthy and prosperous futures.
- Create meaningful qualifications that are based on mastery, rather
than seat time.
Rethink Accountability & Assessment
- Redesign accountability systems for continuous improvement to achieve equity and excellence, empowering stakeholders with multiple, balanced measures and reciprocity processes.
- Build balanced systems of assessments to certify student mastery of knowledge and skills and provide timely feedback on where students are in their learning.
Build Capacity by Investing in People
- Develop educator capacity for next-generation learning by modernizing educator preparation and development systems and increasing workforce diversity.
- Build system and school leadership capacity for change through personalized and competency-based preparation and professional development systems, and increase diversity within school district and system leadership.
2019 Federal Policy Priorities
Expand the Innovative Assessment Pilot
- Remove barriers for states in ESSA Section 1204 (Innovative Assessment Pilot) by lifting the seven-state cap, allowing time for planning, and making funding available for states to develop and stage implementation of high-quality, innovative systems of assessments that include performance assessments to support competency-based pathways.
Leverage Resources and Align for Postsecondary Transitions
- Target funding within the reauthorized Perkins Career and Technical Education Act to encourage alignment of programs with personalized pathways and competency-based approaches across K-12, higher education and the workforce.
- Current to Future State: Issues and Action Steps for State Policy to Support Personalized, Competency-Based Learning
- Fit for Purpose: Taking the Long View on Systems Change and Policy to Support Competency Education
- Meeting The Every Student Succeeds Act’s Promise: State Policy to Support Personalized Learning
- Promising State Policies for Personalized Learning
- Laying the Foundation for Competency Education: A Policy Guide for the Next Generation Educator Workforce
- Reaching the Tipping Point: Insights on Advancing Competency Education in New England
- A National Landscape Scan of Personalized Learning in K-12 Education in the United States
iNACOL Issue Briefs:
- State Funding Strategies to Support Education Innovation
- State Policy & K-12 Competency-Based Education
- Innovation Zones: Creating Policy Flexibility for Personalized Learning
- Redesigning Systems of Assessments for Student-Centered Learning
- Redefining Student Success: Profile of a Graduate
- Rethinking State Accountability to Support Personalized, Competency-Based Learning in K-12 Education
- State Strategies to Develop Teacher Capacity for Personalized, Competency-Based Learning
- Course Access: Providing Equitable Access to High-Quality Learning Opportunities