Globally, the highest performing nations have competency-based education systems – not systems based on seat time. iNACOL believes in student-centered learning and makes policy recommendations based on doing what is right for kids to have greater access to a world-class education. Authors of this report encourage legislators to adopt the following principles into their education policy:
- Shift to competency-based education from seat-time.
- Increase access for each student and permit the entire continuum of student-centered, online and blended learning.
- Design outcomes-based accountability and funding incentives.
- Increase access to excellent, effective teachers.
- Provide room for innovation.
This report summarizes recommendations for policymakers to transform education into highly personalized, competency-based systems.